- The main training effort has been on the heavy equipment operators resulting in more than 70 individuals receiving training on rock truck and excavator equipment using a simulator
- The project has delivered training to approximately 130 individuals as Class 1 and 3 drivers, equipment operators, summer students, and apprentices
- Additional opportunities delivered during the summer of 2015 provided specialized training for ten individuals to operate specific pieces of heavy equipment, such as graders or excavators. Additional training opportunities will be available in 2016 for 12 to 15 individuals
- Front line project personnel received training on practical insights into the practices necessary to protect water resources during highway construction. DFO provided a fish biologist to discuss habitat protection and sediment and erosion control measures
- Project staff and monitors received Predator Defence Training
The Department of Transportation requires civil engineers, engineering technologists, project officers, and construction superintendents to build the Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk Highway. Please visit http://careers.hr.gov.nt.ca/en/search/job for all positions currently being advertised by the Government of Northwest Territories, and watch this space for special hirings as they occur.
DRIVER TRAINING PROGRAM
Contractor E. Gruben’s Transport Ltd (EGT) has developed a Class 1 and Class 3 Driver Training Course in Tuktoyaktuk to respond to the need for capable truck drivers and heavy equipment drivers.
Workplace Readiness Program
Northwind Industries Ltd. (Northwind) runs an 11-week workplace readiness program for Aboriginal workers. The course is run in partnership with the IRC and the Gwich’in Tribal Council, as well as the territorial and federal governments. The training program is designed to prepare young people for what may be their first job in the workforce, or as a refresher for people who have been out of work for some time. Graduates will be in a much stronger position to apply with the joint venture for jobs on the project.